A photo from the Illinois Digitial Archives' Bloomington-Normal Black History Project collection, contributed by the McLean County Historical Society
- In honor of Black History month, Fold3 is making the records in its Black History Collection available for free through the end of February! Their collection includes over a millions records spanning the Civil War era through the Civil Rights Movement.
- Florida Atlantic University provides an excellent list of African-American genealogy resources!
- Family Tree Magazine also provides a great list of African-American Genealogy books, groups and other resources.
- FamilySearch offers some tips for tracing your African-American Genealogy and celebrating Black History Month.
- The National Archives' Library Information Center also provides some resources for researching black history.
- The Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society (AAHGS) promotes the rich diversity of African-American History.
Honoring African American History in Illinois
- Illinois Digital Archives- Bloomington-Normal Black History Project: This collection spans the 19th and 20th centuries and includes photographs, portraits, booklets, articles and photocopies related to the local black community. The McLean County Historical Society now serves as a repository for the project's collections.
- The Chicago Defender has covered news events in the African-American community since 1905. The Defender's archives from 1905-1975 are available through ProQuest - check if your local library has ProQuest subscription that you can access free of charge!
- Learn about the Archives and Special Collections available for public research at the DuSable Muesum of African American History.
- Be sure to check out our Member Society, the Afro-American Genealogical and Historical Society of Chicago, for local and knowledgeable research assistance!
- Learn about exemplary African American men and women from Illinois on the Springfield and Central Illinois African American History Museum's website.
- Find out what African-American research collections are available at the Harold Washington Library and the Newberry Library in Chicago.
- Learn about Illinois' part in the Underground Railroad!
Do you have more research suggestions for African American family history? Tell us about them here or on our Facebook page!
© 2020, copyright Illinois State Genealogical Society