UPDATE: ISGS is pleased to announce that we are extending online registration for the Fall Conference until Sunday, October 18, 2015, due to arrangements with the Oak Lawn Hilton. This is the last chance to sign up for the Friday night Banquet and hear Geoffrey Baer’s presentation “They Came to Chicago.” It is also the last chance to guarantee that you will receive lunch on Saturday with your conference registration.
Illinois State Genealogical Society 2015 Fall ConferenceOctober 23rd & 24th, 2015
Oak Lawn, Illinois
Co-host: Afro-American Genealogical & Historical Society of Chicago
Two days filled with genealogy education, nationally-known speakers, and the opportunity to network with other genealogists and family historians, and meals. Featured speakers include:
- Paula Stuart-Warren, CG℠, FMGS, FUGA: Professional genealogist specializing in genealogical and historical research, lecturing, consulting, and writing. Her lectures, research, and consultations for individuals, societies, law firms, and Indian tribes seeking records and advice has taken her to many states, courthouses, archives, historical societies, and libraries. Her Illinois research covers many counties.
- Geoffrey Baer: Multiple Emmy award-winning Public Television writer, producer and program host Geoffrey Baer is known for his masterful storytelling, conversational style, and contagious enthusiasm.
- Tony Burroughs, FUGA: Founder and CEO of the Center for Black Genealogy. He is author of Black Roots: A Beginners Guide to Tracing the African American Family Tree and is a Director of the Illinois State Genealogical Society.
- Thomas MacEntee: What happens when a “tech guy” with a love for history gets laid off during The Great Recession of 2008? You get, Thomas MacEntee, a genealogy professional who’s also a blogger, educator, author, social media marketer, network builder and more.
- Ruth Ann Abels Hager, CGSM, CGLSM: Researcher, author, and speaker at local, state, and national levels. Her academic background includes a bachelor’s degree in history and a master of arts in teaching degree. She retired in 2014 after 16 years as Reference Specialist in the History and Genealogy Department of St. Louis County Library. For a number of years, she also taught at the Institute of Genealogy and Historical Research (IGHR) in Birmingham, Ala.
- Carol Chandler: Carol is a retired registered nurse and active volunteer from Dixon, IL, will share her knowledge of Orphan Trains. Her research covers northwestern Illinois and adjoining counties of Wisconsin and Iowa.
- Grace Dumelle: Professional researcher since 1995 and a staffer since 2001 at the Newberry Library. Guiding beginners to family discoveries is something she greatly enjoys.
- George Findlen: A retired academic administrator and faculty member. His genealogical articles have appeared in the National Genealogical Society Quarterly and journals in New England, Louisiana, New Brunswick, and Quebec.
- Janis Minor Forté: Researcher, writer and presenter who lectures at state, local and national conferences on methodology, case studies and problem solving.
- Jane G. Haldeman: Professional genealogist and presenter lecturing at local, state and national levels. She is the immediate Past President Illinois State Genealogical Society.
- John C. Heider: Professional gravestone conservator. He has served as a consultant to the State of Illinois Cemetery Preservation Program.
Click here to download the Conference Brochure (PDF).
Program: Click here for full program details.
Dates: Friday, October 23rd and Saturday, October 24th, 2015
Hilton Chicago/Oak Lawn
9333 S. Cicero Ave
Oak Lawn, IL 60453
Conference Rate: $119.00 per night if reserved by 02 October 2015. Breakfast is NOT included at this rate. Mention "2015 ISGS Conferences" when making your room reservation.
Registration - Online and By Mail
- Click here to register and pay online.
- Click here to download printable registration form and mail in with your check
(opens in PDF).
Not a member of ISGS? Click here to join now!
Individual membership is $35 a year
Joint membership $40 a year
Friday Banquet Dinner Choices:
- Grilled Lemon Herb Breast of Chicken
- Sliced Sirloin of Beef
- Vegetarian Option: Vegetable Phyllo Purse
- Roast Beef & Provolone
- Smoked Ham and Cheddar
- Vegetarian Option: Grilled Portobello
© 2015, copyright Illinois State Genealogical Society