Among the many services available to the public, as well as members of the Illinois State Genealogical Society, is the Illinois Death Certificate Lookup Service. Not only can ISGS members receive copies of Illinois death certificates from 1916-1950 at a discount, anyone using ISGS can save considerable money compared to county-based services.
The current pricing for one certificate is $6.00 for ISGS members and $10.00 for non-members (you can order as many as you would like). Compare that to the current $15.00 rate at sites such as Genealogy Online for Cook County (https://www.cookcountygenealogy.com/).
Currently, only those certificates listed at the Illinois Death Certificates 1916-1950 database at http://cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/databases/idphdeathindex.html can be obtained through the ISGS lookup service. The death certificates are printed from the microfilm stored at the Illinois State Archives.
Requesting a Death Certificate: The Process
To obtain non-certified copies of death certificates from the 1916-1950 time frame, please follow these steps:
- Go to the Illinois State Archives Death Certificate Index, 1916-1950, here.
- Search for the individual death certificate(s) you want.
- After you find the correct certificates(s), print or copy down the information exactly as displayed on your screen.
- Order Online: To order online using a MasterCard, Visa, Discover, American Express or a PayPal account, use our shopping cart at http://ilgensoc.org/cpage.php?pt=59. Your information is kept safe and secure by the PayPal payment service.
- Order by Mail: To mail your request, print out the ISGS Death Certificate Request Form (click here) and transfer the death certificate information to the form. Mail the form along with your check made payable to the Illinois State Genealogy Society to the address shown on the form. (Note: Credit card payments are only available online.)
If you have any questions, visit http://ilgensoc.org/cpage.php?pt=59 for more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (217) 789-1968.
Revenues Support ISGS Operations
In the past few years we have seen a marked decrease in income from the ISGS death certificate lookup service. Proceeds directly support ISGS office operations. So remember to take advantage of this service, whether you are a member of ISGS or not!
© 2015, copyright Illinois State Genealogical Society