The Ninth Annual "Harvest Time for Genealogists" Workshop - October 8, 2011 from 9AM to 3PM at our library, 719 N 11 th St., Pekin.
Join us again for a full day of genealogy (including lunch). This year's speaker is Carol Whitton, CG SM (Certified Genealogist) from St. Louis, Missouri. Carol will be making presentations on the newly redesigned Family History Library website (still free), migration from Virginia to the Midwest, German research resources, and a step-by-step process for researching your immigrant ancestors overseas─including finding their village of origin. Carol's extensive background includes the following:
- Writes and speaks on various genealogical topics with specialization in German research, U.S. immigration & migration (specializing in Virginia migration to the Midwest), handwriting (paleography), and genealogical computing.
- Other specialties include Virginia Research, Federal Records; Land Platting; Land Records; Library of Congress; Lineage Societies; Lutherans; and Palatines.
- Qualified for the professional designation of a Certified Genealogist (CG SM ) by the Board for Certification of Genealogists .
- Graduated from the Virginia Institute of Genealogical Research (VIGR) held by the Virginia Genealogical Society , focusing on Virginia research topics & methods.
- Completed Germanic Research course at the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy (SLIG) held by the Utah Genealogical Association
- Graduated from the National Institute of Genealogical Research (NIGR) held at the National Archives in Washington, D.C.
- Holds a BA in Chinese Language & History, a MA in International Economics & Economy of China, and completed an MS (all but thesis) in Agricultural Economics.
- Retired 2005 from the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C. as an international agricultural economist.
- Worked 18 months (after retirement from Dept of Agriculture) as a genealogist at the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution ( NSDAR) .
- Led the German Special Interest Group of the Fairfax Genealogical Society (Virginia) for 10 years
- Previous president of the Roots User Group (RUG) of Arlington (users of The Master Genealogist software).
- Currently serves as Vice-President for Programs for the St. Louis Genealogical Society .