“Pathways to the Heartland” - A Conference for the Nation’s Genealogists
February 2, 2011 – Austin, TX. Registration for the 2011 Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference, scheduled for 7-10 September 2011 in beautiful Springfield, Illinois, is now open. This year’s conference theme is “Pathways to the Heartland,” and the local host is the Illinois State Genealogical Society.
This year's conference offers an exciting opportunity for anyone interested in researching their family history. Over 165 educational sessions and 13 luncheons are designed to balance the needs of genealogists at all levels, exploring a variety of records, strategies, and other tools available to those interested in researching their family history.
Session sponsors include FamilySearch (offering extensive Focus on Societies, Migration and Immigration, and Technology tracks), Ancestry.com, the National Archives and Records Administration, Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library, New England Historic Genealogical Society, Association of Professional Genealogists, Board for Certification of Genealogists, and others. In addition, the Genealogical Speakers Guild and ICAPGen will present their own tracks of sessions by their members that you won’t want to miss.
- Librarians Day: On Tuesday, September 6, 2011, ProQuest is sponsoring a full day of free sessions designed for librarians, archivists, and other information professionals serving family history researchers.
- Focus on Societies: On Wednesday, September 7, 2011, all new programs and focus group sessions to help improve the operations and effectiveness for genealogical societies’ officers, as well as their members and volunteers.
- Conference Sessions: A wide variety of genealogy-related lectures and workshops for all experience levels. Topics include Mid-Western research, migration and immigration, military, strategies and techniques, technology, and writing.
- Special Events: Include An Old Fashioned Prairie Social, the FGS 35th Anniversary Celebration, and Spotlight on Societies—all providing an excellent environment to meet and network with others interested in family history and genealogy. This exciting week of genealogy closes with a Farewell Brunch on Sunday.
- Exhibit Hall: Filled with a wide array of vendors and organizations, and a special Spotlight on Societies area will showcase local and regional genealogical and historical societies.
Learn More and Stay Connected
- Subscribe to Conference eUpdates: 2011Conference@fgs.org (place “Subscribe” in Subject line)
- Visit the Conference News Blog: http://www.fgsconferenceblog.org
- Follow the Conference on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/fgs2011 and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/fgs2011
- Discover Springfield: http://www.visit-springfieldillinois.com
The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) was founded in 1976 and represents the members of hundreds of genealogical societies. FGS links the genealogical community by helping genealogical societies strengthen and grow through resources available online, FGS Forum magazine (filled with articles pertaining to society management and genealogical news), and Society Strategy Series papers, covering topics about effectively operating a genealogical society. FGS also links the genealogical community through its annual conference -- four days of excellent lectures, including one full day devoted to society management topics. To learn more visit http://www.fgs.org.
© 2011, copyright Illinois State Genealogical Society